Indonesia's Official Tourism Website

Topic: March Festivals in Indonesia  (Read 2743 times)
Rate Topic:

Offline Eko Jusmar

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • Mileage 3
  • For travelers all around the world: Don't claim yo
    • View Profile
    • Indonesian Travel Blogger
March Festivals in Indonesia
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:55 AM »

Dear Indonesia Travellers

Spring is about to come and cities across the archipelago will celebrate the coming of March. With so many different cultures in the archipelago, you can expect to see different kinds of festivals in Indonesia. We've found four festivals in Indonesia where you can see international musicians, enjoy thousands of years old traditions or learn how to live a healthy life.

Java Jazz Festival, Jakarta (1-3 March)
This year the jazz festival that is buzzin' with anticipation has marked its 9th edition and will spoil music lovers from Indonesia and beyond with super famous lineups. Ranked among the biggest jazz festivals in the world and definitely one of the best festivals in Indonesia, famous pop personas Joss Stone, Lisa Stansfield, Basia and Craig David will be performing live in the festival that will also be enlivened by jazz legends Roy Hargrove, Bob James, and Fourplay.  You can sample some local music at the event too including The Groove, Sister Duke, and Barry Likumahuwa Project. Wear casual clothes as you will join tens of thousands other people in the three day festivities.

Pasola Festival, Sumba (7 March)
The bloody harvest festival in Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara reaches its finale on the first week of March. Said to be the most exciting jousting festivals in the world, opposing teams will run into each other on horseback (Sumba’s famous pony-sized horses), throwing spears – called hola-  to hurt the opponents or horses. Blood spilled during this game is believed to fertilize the soil and benefit the upcoming harvest. This is definitely one of those best festivals in Indonesia not to be missed!

Bali Spirit Festival, Ubud, 20-24 Maret
This might be annual celebration for yoga, dance and music is held several weeks after the Seclusion Day of the Hindus. Here top yoga and dance instructors, healers and musicians are joined by thousands of like-minded folks who come from all over the world.  Experience the high quality and diversity of daytime workshops, world music concerts, holistic healing sessions, and meet eco-friendly vendors in Ubud, the capital of nature and culture of Bali.

Semana Santa, Larantuka, 29 March
Catholic celebrations are hardly found in Indonesia, a country where more than 90% of the population embraces Islam. But Larantuka, a small town in East Nusa Tenggara that still has strong Portuguese roots, celebrate Good Friday in a grand way, making it one of the most unique festivals in Indonesia. Locals call it “Semana Sancta” where they take their precious 16th century statue of Jesus Christ for a 7-kilometer procession by land and sea to be united with the statue of the Virgin Mary that is enshrined in the church. When the two figures are met, Good Friday service starts and lasts all night long.

Which festivals in Indonesia suit you best? Whether you enjoy your sing-a-long time with famous singers or feel the charm of a catholic celebration, join these best festivals in Indonesia to get to know the richness of culture and tradition of the archipelago.
Source
  • @kitajimaland
For travelers all around the world: Don't claim you are a true traveler, if you never travel in INDONESIA

Offline jhon cena

• Day Tripper
  • Mileage 0
    • View Profile
Re: March Festivals in Indonesia
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:27:47 PM »
I think I miss this.what is the ending date...

thanks,
 Olivia Stevens

Offline BlackyBunch

• Day Tripper
  • Mileage 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »
I too have heard about this festival in becasue I have one friend in Indonesia and she always call me to come during March. Hope to visit next year.
These days I'm playing Jackpot games with my friends

Offline Dokuman

• Day Tripper
  • Mileage 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:13 PM »
So March is the main season for festivals or most of the festivals are in March? It sounds like diwali, Eid and Christmas to me. Is there any other season which includes different festivals? Asking because already missed this, if possible not to miss coming events. My favorite from your list is Pasola Festival, Sumba. Can outsiders take part in it or it is only limited to local people. Other than this I am not that interested in any other festival which is mentioned in the list. Still a great celebration, I say.

Hope I will be able to join Pasola Festival, Sumba next year. 8)

Menggunakan Google Translator
(Jadi Maret adalah musim utama untuk festival atau sebagian besar festival yang Maret? Kedengarannya seperti diwali, Idul Fitri dan Natal kepada saya. Apakah ada musim lain yang termasuk festival yang berbeda? Bertanya karena sudah merindukan ini, jika mungkin untuk tidak melewatkan acara mendatang. Favorit saya dari daftar Anda adalah Pasola Festival, Sumba. Dapatkah orang luar mengambil bagian di dalamnya atau hanya terbatas pada masyarakat setempat. Selain ini saya tidak begitu tertarik pada festival lainnya yang disebutkan dalam daftar. Masih perayaan besar, saya katakan.

Harapan saya akan dapat bergabung Pasola Festival, Sumba tahun depan. 8) )

Offline Eko Jusmar

• Administrator
  • Traveller
  • Mileage 3
  • For travelers all around the world: Don't claim yo
    • View Profile
    • Indonesian Travel Blogger
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »
Dear all,to get to know all event/festival all over Indonesia please find the information here  :) http://www.indonesia.travel/en/event
  • @kitajimaland
For travelers all around the world: Don't claim you are a true traveler, if you never travel in INDONESIA

Offline ananthapriya

• Day Tripper
  • Mileage 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:59:08 AM »
Oh god i was missing to enjoy that festival....
da.

Offline klotok14

• Day Tripper
  • Mileage 0
  • Love you All
    • View Profile
    • Online Hotel Booking
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:18:13 AM »
THis is good festival