Destinations in Indonesia
Home » Borobudur: A Wonder of Indonesia History
Budha Statue on BorobudurBorobudur, the great Buddhist stupa on Java (Indonesia), built and decorated perhaps before 800AD
Part of Statue at BorobudurBorobudur was rediscovered in the 19th century, rescued from the surrounding jungles, and today is a major Buddhist pilgrimage site.
Vesakh Festival At BorobudurMany Buddhists visit Borobudur during Waisak (the Buddhist day of enlightenment). On Waisak, hundreds of Buddhist monks from Indonesia and further afield begin at 2am to make a procession from nearby Candi Mendut, walking the 1.5 miles to Borobudur.
Ruins from BorobudurBorobudur is built on a stupendous scale - it couldn't be otherwise, as it is nothing less than a representation of the cosmos as Buddhist theology understands it.
Sunset Scenery at BorobudurOnce you enter Borobudur, you find yourself being led into an intricate cosmology immortalized in stone, which is a magnificent trip for amateur archaeologists, albeit one that will require an experienced guide to decipher.
Stupa of BorobudurThe monument is shaped like a mandala, forming a series of platforms - five square platforms below, four circular platforms above - riddled with a pathway that takes pilgrims through three levels of Buddhist cosmology
Amanjiwo Resort near the BorobudurAmanresorts offers a guest experience that is intimate and discreet while providing the highest level of service. www.amanresorts.com
Related ActivityMany of the world's most ancient wonders can be found in Indonesia. From sacred temples to palace ruins, from prehistoric remains to living traditions...
- Kailasa Museum : Tracing The Ancient Javanese Civilization
- Prambanan : The Exotic Hindu Temple
- Graha Candi Golf : Golf & Real Estate Semarang
- Manyaran Indah Golf Club
- Museum Batik Danar Hadi
- Tlogo Plantation
- Sangiran : Home of The Java Man
- Dieng Plateau : Among the Gods at Dieng Plateau
- Relaxing in Wonosobo
- SEMARANG : Cosmopolitan Capital of Central Java
- Solo Surakarta : A City Steeped in History
- KARIMUNJAWA: Marine Adventure in the Java Sea
- AMBARAWA : Experience Rural Java’s Traditional Life
- Mendut Temple : Spiritual Portal to the imposing Borobudur temple
- Pawon Temple : The Temple of the Flaming Thunderbolt
- Pulau Tengah in the Java Sea: surrounded by living reefs and colorful fish
- PURA MANGKUNEGARAN: its history and the end of the united Javanese Mataram Sultanate
- Dieng’s Telaga Warna, the Color-changing Lake
- Candirejo Village : experience rural Java’s traditional life
- Jepara : Java’s legendary woodcarving and furniture center
- Kudus : Birthplace of Indonesia’s “Kretek” Clove Cigarettes
- Demak : Important Cradle in the spread of Islam on Java
- Rafting down rapids of the picturesque Serayu River
- Understanding the Thousands of Relief Panels of Borobudur
- Wonosobo’s Stunning Mountain panorama, cool fresh air and tea plantations
- Tubing down the Elo River of Central Java
- The Cave of Virgin Mary at Kerep, Ambarawa